PragmaticAll values real world observation over theoretical models.
Dave Snowden said it very well: theory and practice should co-evolve.
- If you don’t understand the theory behind things, practice won’t scale.
- If you don’t allow theory to interact with practice, theory remains esoteric.
- It is the interaction between theory and practice that matters.
I believe that observations of the real world are the key to the reflection that is needed for a healthy interaction between theory and practice. So, while I make every effort to be well informed on theories, approaches and models etc., it is in the way that I apply them that I make the difference. And the way I apply the theory is different in each situation – because the observations are likely to be different.
I love good observations and the results that they inspire. Some examples:
- Drawings and paintings based on close observation of the natural world;
- Comedy and cartoons inspired by observations of human nature;
- Scientific discoveries resulting from painstaking observation and measurement.